Sunday, February 27, 2011

LAST WEEKEND OF FEBRUARY : Part One

Port Gamble
If you are a Face Book Friend then you already know that Rick and I took a day trip to Port Townsend yesterday.

Our 9th wedding anniversary was this past Wednesday, February 23rd. Since we both had to work, and different shifts from each other, we set aside yesterday to celebrate. It was Rick's idea to go to Port Townsend, and his idea to head up I-5 to Edmonds and take the ferry over to the Penninsula.
His family settled in Georgia when he was around 11 years old, before then they traveled since his dad was in the military. Needless to say, ferry boat rides are still a novelty to him....it is really rather endearing.
We stopped in Port Gamble and I fell in love....with this quaint little town (already in love with the hubby). It is just so clean. We didn't go into all the shops since we were headed to PT, but are definitely looking forward to visiting again.
Onward to Port Townsend!
First stop, McDonalds for a quick bite. Now I must say, it was already a very cold day, but somehow I don't think that they got the memo to turn up the heat. It was almost as cold inside as it was outside, so we ate in our car....TOASTY WARM! 

Snack done, into town we go......
After circling the town once,  we found a parking spot in front of "The Green Eyeshade" a lovely little "kitchen" store. I came away with a couple of  "finds"....like a cookbook called "Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey", and YES it looks as wonderful as it sounds, AND it was 40% off! I cannot wait to put a few of the recipes to the test.
Out into the cold again....that wind was pretty "nasty"....and it didn't help that we were walking into a headwind......thank God for so many cool stores to duck into!
Rick was such a sweetie by being so willing to go into my idea of  "fun" shops, such as "Diva Yarn and Trim". I have never seen such unique trims. I wanted SO bad to buy some, but honestly didn't know what I would use it for, so I resisted the urge and told myself I'd wait for another visit. I wasn't as impressed about the "yarn" part of the store, perhaps because it wasn't even close to being as cool as "The Artful Ewe" in Port Gamble, now that is a place for all knitters to visit!
We poked our noses into a few more places and decided another favorite was the "EarthenWorks Gallery". We fell in love with some of the artwork there....just a tiny bit too expensive for us...another great place to visit though.
We decided to follow Hwy 101 back to Olympia.  By this time it was starting to "spit"out snow and when we reached Hoodsport we were in snow and it actually started sticking to the road between there and Shelton....did I say that we really LOVE our Subaru Outback?
We ended our trip with a final stop at Papa Murphy's for a half Cowboy and half Canadian Bacon and Pineapple Pizza.
 Home....warm, cozy home....Pizza, beer, "Cops" (Rick's favorite) and a very contented heart.
Without sounding too sappy, did I tell you that I have the best husband in the whole world? Well, I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment